The analytics features in Microsoft 365 remain a sensitive topic for works councils and data privacy officers. This article describes the options currently available to customize these apps.
Overview and history of Office Graph & Microsoft Graph
The apps My Analytics, Workplace Analytics & Delve
- Security by Design. Everyone only sees what they have access to.
- Private signals can only be seen by the person himself, e.g. which content might be interesting for him. This cannot be impersonated in the sense of: please show me what is interesting for John Doe.
- Public Signals only show what can also be found in other ways, e.g. via search.
- Meeting Insights: When a user calls up an appointment in their calendar, Outlook displays other content relevant to that appointment. This can include mails and files in the mailbox, files from OneDrive or SharePoint for which the user has at least read permission. Meeting Insights can currently only be switched on or off for the entire tenant.
- Item Insights: This feature creates recommendations based on user interaction/common tasks in Microsoft 365. These recommendations can include documents or other types of content and are displayed in People Cards (Contacts), Delve, Office.com, and other locations. Item Insights can be turned on or off per Azure AD group.
- SharePoint Home
- SharePoint Activities
- OneDrive Suggestions
- Copy / Pats Functions
- If the app as a whole is deactivated, the user will no longer be able to access his dashboards in My Analytics. The Insights Outlook add-ins are then also no longer available.
- Inline suggestions and weekly digests will no longer be generated.
- Email activity will no longer be included in the count for other users' email open rates.
- Sources: Administrators and analysts use these to verify that Microsoft 365 and organizational data has been uploaded correctly to Workplace Analytics.
- Upload: Administrators use this to prepare and upload organization and customer data.
- Administrator Settings: Administrators use this to configure system default settings, privacy settings, and manager settings.
- Analytics Settings: Analysts use this to customize meeting exclusion rules that help ensure data accuracy.